Surly Cross Check
Mike has contributed a time or two on the blog and here is the Surly Cross Check he built in the spring of 2013 for a summer road tour across western Europe.
“Over the past two months I built Surly Cross check to be my light touring and commuting bike of the future. I thought about this build for many hours during my tour through Central America. The Surly Troll as I had it is a perfect bike for hauling big loads of gear through second and third world conditions. I wanted a lighter, more classically styled 700c bike. Going forward I don’t know how many long term bicycle tours I will be able to pull off. Below are the details of the build for those who care.” -Mike V.
Build and Parts List
- Frame: 56cm Surly Cross Check
- Wheels: Shimano XT 36h hubs, Mavic TN719 Rims
- Tires: Schwalbe Dureme 700c 40mm
- Crankset: Sugino 24-36-48
- Bottom Bracket: Shimano square taper
- Shifters: Shimano Ulegra Bar End
- Front Derailleur: Shimano 105
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT
- Headset: Cane Creek 110
- Stem: Nitto threadless 90mm 17d
- Handlebars: Nitto Noodle 44cm
- Brake Levers: Cane Creek Drop V
- Brakes: Paul Components Motolite Linear Pull
- Seatpost: Velo Orange Grand Cru
- Seat: Brooks B17 Standard
Please pass it along...