First Look: 2020 Bombtrack Beyond+ ADV
2020 sees a few tweaks to Bombtrack’s big-wheeled Beyond+ ADV, including three-pack cage mounts on each seatstay. Here are all the details, the full build kit, and a few thoughts on how it rides.
Although 2020 sees some tweaks to the Beyond+ ADV, I wasn’t planning to post any thoughts about this big wheeled bruiser in Bombtrack’s Beyond lineup. But after going for a 30km rip around the woods at this year’s Groundwork event, I was so taken by this fully rigid bike that I figured it was worth sharing a few thoughts!
With its 29+ wheels, it’s no surprise this version of the Beyond adventure series (there are 700c and 27.5+ models too) bulldozes through almost anything you throw it at, be it rock gardens or root systems. At the same time, it boasts surprisingly quick and playful handling for a bike of this size. Talking of size, it’s a little different between the Beyond Plus and the ADV, so it’s worth taking a closer look to see which works best for you. The bike photographed is a size large.
- Frame/fork: Steel/Carbon, Sizes S M L XL
- Angles (L): 68,5° Headtube, 72° Seattube (L)
- Stack/Reach: 644mm/434mm (L)
- BB Drop/Chainstay: 70mm/450mm
- Bottom Bracket:BB SRAM DUB BSA 73 mm
- Hub specs: 15 x 110 mm TA, 12 x 148 mm TA
- Seatpost: 30.9mm
- Max tire size: 29 x 3in
- Price: €2699/£2500/$2970
On a general note, I also find that sizing down – if you’re between two – on a bike fitted with Jones H-bars helps make the most use of the variety of hand positions they offer. If the top tube is too long, you may end up resting on the ends, and not using them as they were designed – scooting your hands forwards into the hooks of the bar for a more efficient body position, for instance.
New for 2020 is the triple mounts on the seatstays, as seen on the Hook ADV. How well this plays with cargo will likely depend on the length and diameter of what you’re mounting, along with your shoe size. For many, water bottles positioned in the lowest position are the most likely bet. There’s stealth routing for a dropper too. The stout chromo frame, finished in a tough-looking matt powder coat, can take a rear rack. The Beyond ADV’s fork also has provision for cargo cages and being full carbon, helps trim back some weight from what is – you’ll want to protect it with helicopter tape if you’re heading out for the long haul.
2020 Bombtrack Beyond+ ADV Build Kit
As reflected in the price, the ADV sports a well-selected collection of dependable parts, including WTB STs and Ranger Toughs in a 29 x 3.0″ flavour; interestingly Bombtrack have chosen to spec an i45 up front and an i40 at the back. Elsewhere, stopping power is provided by Magura Trail Sport hydraulics – four pistons at the front and two at the rear do a good job bringing those big wheels to a standstill. And when it comes to climbing, SRAM’s Eagle GX (10-52T with a 30T chainring) provides a very usable set of gears. Claimed weight is 13.1kg (28.8lbs); the carbon fork and a well-chosen build kit definitely help trim back some weight, compared to the heavier Beyond Plus.
- Frame 4130 double butted crmo tubing
- Fork BOMBTRACK BPC full carbon disc fork / triple cage mounts
- Handlebars JONES H-BAR LOOP 710 travel bar, 31.8 mm, 710 mm
- Grips BOMBTRACK SHIFT 170 mm grips
- Stem BOMBTRACK TRAMP forged aluminum stem, 3°
- Headset FSA ORBIT ITA sealed semi integrated / external aheadset, 1 1/2″ – 1 1/8″
- Shifter SRAM GX-EAGLE 12-speed trigger shifter
- Brakes MAGURA TRAIL SPORT 4 piston front, 2 piston rear / 180 mm rotors
- Crankset SRAM DESCENDANT aluminum crank, Boost DUB
- Bottom Bracket SRAM DUB BSA 73 mm
- Chain SRAM GX EAGLE chain, 118L
- Chainring SRAM GX EAGLE aluminum, narrow-wide, 30T
- Cassette SRAM XG-1275 EAGLE 12-speed cassette, 10-50 T
- Rear Derailleur SRAM GX EAGLE, clutch, long cage
- Front Hub BOMBTRACK TRAIL sealed hub, 6-bolt disc, 15 x 110mm thru-axle
- Front Hub BOMBTRACK TRAIL sealed hub, XD driver, 6-bolt disc, 12 x 148mm thru-axle
- Front Rim WTB ST i45 double wall, TCS 2.0, 32h
- Rear Rim WTB ST i40 double wall, TCS 2.0, 32h
- Saddle BOMBTRACK ORIGIN saddle
- Seatpost BOMBTRACK YEW aluminum seatpost, 30.9mm x 400mm
- Seat Clamp BOMBTRACK ORIGIN forged aluminum seat clamp, 34.9mm
- Tires WTB RANGER TCS TOUGH folding tire, 29″ x 3.0″
Don’t pigeon hole it as a big-wheeled, dirt road tourer, even if its provision for bikepacking gear makes it ideal for multi-day adventures – note that it has 10mm less bottom bracket drop and a slacker head angle than a Surly ECR, for instance. I only had a few hours on the bike but it was clear to see that the Beyond ADV makes a really capable, low maintenance mountain bike that’s especially handy on techy descents – a dropper post would certainly be a worthwhile upgrade.
The 2020 Bombtrack Beyond+ ADV will be available for €2699/£2500/$2970. There is a frame only option too for US$750, £570, and €680. Also, be sure to check out our review of last year’s Beyond+ 2 and see how Matty has his Beyond+ ADV in this Reader’s Rig.