Pearl Izumi X-Alp Launch SPD Review: Unbreakable Clipless Shoes? (video)
After seven months and 2,000+ miles of rigorous use, Neil shares his thoughts on the Pearl Izumi X Alp Launch SPD clipless mountain bike shoes. Find out about their pedal performance, off-the-bike comfort, and most importantly, overall durability in this long term review…
The expanded and revamped X-Alp shoe range launched about a year ago and included the high-end and burly X-Alp Elevate as well as the more casual Launch SPD. The Pearl Izumi X-Alp Launch SPD is for mountain bikers who ride clipless pedals but want a more street-inspired look and comfortable feel. The Launch SPD was revamped around a BOA Fit System and feature a Cordura upper made from recycled content “that is both lightweight and durable.” In our latest YouTube video, Neil provides a proper long-term review of these shoes after 2,000+ miles of use and abuse. Watch it below and scroll down for more specs and details on the shoes.
Pearl Izumi X-Alp Launch SPD Specs (from Pearl Izumi)
- BOA® Fit System with L6 dial lets riders fine-tune fit while they ride
- Vibram ECOSTEP® outsole delivers the perfect blend of grip, traction, and durability
- Seamless, perforated upper is breathable and quick-drying
- Recycled Cordura® fabric is durable and eco-friendly
- Reinforced toe box for added protection
- EVA foam midsole cushions impacts
- 2-bolt SPD cleat compatible
The X-Alp Launch SPD comes in for $160. Also, you can find our roundup of some of the best SPD shoes on the market here, which includes the X-Alp Elevate.
- Model/Size Tested: Size 46.5 (11.5 US) in Berm Brown/Black
- Actual Weight (pair): 1130 grams (with cleats and aftermarket insoles)
- Place of Manufacture: China
- Price: $160
- Manufacturer’s Details: PearlIzumi.com
Please keep the conversation civil, constructive, and inclusive, or your comment will be removed.