Posted by Logan Watts
The 2020 Kona Sutra LTD offers a few improvements over last year’s model, and 2018 LTD, which we already thought was near perfect (read our review). The most visible update is a new paint scheme. It features a “Gloss Earth Grey” color with grey and “Mustard” decals. Kona also made a couple smart changes to the frame and the complete build kit…
The most significant update to the Sutra LTD (or so it appears) can be found on the fork. It looks like Kona corrected the one major flaw we found in past models—they added a third mount to each blade making each set a complete three-pack suited for Anything style cargo cages. Perfection! We’ve reached out to Kona for verification, so hopefully the photographic evidence doesn’t lie!
Another excellent upgrade can be found in the wheels specced on the complete. Kona increased the internal rim width from 23mm to 25mm on a WTB KOM Light rim. We’re big fans of wider rims, so this is a welcome addition as well. This slightly wider rim is better dialed for gravel tires ranging from 42-50mm and 29er MTB rubber in widths from 2.0-2.2″. Kona also switched to tanwall WTB Venture 50mm tires on the complete, up from 45mm on past LTDs.
Like past models, the 2020 Kona Sutra LTD offers plenty of room for bigger tires, too. Folks have reported squeezing in 29 × 2.35″ tires as well as 27.5 x 2.8″ rubber, although both of those sizes might be pretty tight. 29 x 2.25″ and 27.5 x 2.6″ are more realistic max clearances.
Kona specced the 2020 Sutra LTD with a build kit that’s fairly consistent with past models. A SRAM Rival 1 11-speed shifter and derailleur, 10-42t cassette, and direct mount race Face crankset make up a versatile drivetrain. Otherwise, there’s not much to complain about; Kona did a pretty good job, in my opinion, properly appointing this bike for both ‘gravel plus’ riding and bikepacking.
- FRAME MATERIAL Kona Cromoly Butted
- PAINT COLOR Gloss Earth Grey w/ Grey & Mustard Decals
- SIZES 46, 48.5, 52, 54, 56, 58
- FORK Kona Project Two Cromoly Disc Touring Fork
- CRANKARMS RaceFace Aeffect
- CHAINRINGS 36t Narrow/Wide
- B/B RaceFace 73mm
- CHAIN SRAM PC1110
- FREEWHEEL SRAM XG1150 10-42t 11spd
- REAR DERAILLEUR SRAM Rival 1
- SHIFTERS SRAM Rival 1
- BRAKE CALIPERS SRAM Rival 1 Flat mount
- FRONT BRAKE ROTOR SRAM Centerline 160mm
- REAR BRAKE ROTOR SRAM Centerline 160mm
- BRAKE LEVERS SRAM Rival 1 HRD
- HEADSET FSA TH848
- HANDLEBAR Kona Road
- STEM Kona Road Deluxe
- SEATPOST Kona Deluxe Thumb w/Offset 27.2mm
- SEAT CLAMP Kona Clamp
- GRIPS Kona Cork Tape
- SADDLE WTB SL8 Pro
- FRONT HUB Formula 100x12mm
- REAR HUB Formula 142x12mm
- SPOKES Stainless Black 14g
- RIMS WTB KOM Light Team i25 TCS
- FRONT TIRE WTB Venture TCS 700x50c
- REAR TIRE WTB Venture TCS 700x50c
The 2020 Kona Sutra LTD is available now for $2199 USD as a complete or $599 for the frameset with the Kona P2 steel disc thru-axle fork and Kona thru-axles. Learn more over at KonaWorld.com.