As Velo Orange explains on their blog, pass hunting is a French and Japanese sport of seeking out and riding over mountain passes that are either marked by a sign or registered on a map. Those who complete 100 get bragging rights and a pin. A traditional pass hunter-style bike is lightweight, climbs well, and can carry enough gear and food for the day. The Velo Orange Pass Hunter builds on this approach with a lightweight but reliable 4130 Chromoly steel frame, comfortable touring geometry, and loads of mounting options.
Though the original Pass Hunter was designed around cantilever brakes and more traditional specs, the latest generation has been updated with thru-axle hub spacing, flat mount disc brakes, a tapered head tube, and a lovely assortment of mounting options for bottle, fenders, and racks. The frame has a replaceable derailleur hanger, uses a standard 68mm threaded bottom bracket, and has clearance for 650B x 48mm and 700 x 35mm tires. They’ve also maintained the stylish and strong wishbone seatstays, which looks pretty slick.
- Frameset Material 4130 double butted chromoly steel
- Fork 1 1/8″ – 1 1/2″ tapered threadless, 4130 double-butted chromoly steel
- Wheel Size650b or 700c
- Tire Clearance 650Bx42mm and 700x32mm w/ fenders, 650bx48 and 700x35mm without fenders
- Rear Spacing 12x142mm thru-axle
- Front Spacing 12x100mm thru-axle
- Bottom Bracket English threaded 68mm
- Brakes Flat Mount disc
- Seatpost 27.2mm, non-integrated seat collar (not included)
- Front Derailleur 28.6mm
- Bottle Mounts Double on top of downtube, under downtube, and on seattube
- Fender Bosses seat stay bridge, chainstay bridge, under fork crown
- Rear Dropouts Vertical with aluminium alloy replaceable hanger
- Frame Eyelets Single eyelets on rear dropouts, internal eyelets on seat stays
- Fork Eyelets Double eyelets on fork dropouts, triple thru-bosses on the blades, hourglass braze-on
- Rear Brake Routing Easy internal routing for rear brake cable housing/hydraulic tubing
- Paint Cool Blue or Burgundy Red with metallic Velo Orange logo
The Velo Orange Pass Hunter frameset (frame + fork) retails for $795 USD and comes in four sizes, in either Cool Blue or Burgundy. Learn more at Velo-Orange.com.
Please keep the conversation civil, constructive, and inclusive, or your comment will be removed.