Posted by Logan Watts
While it hasn’t even been cold enough to test 45NRTH’s new Ragnarok shoulder-season footwear (which we’ll get to soon), the Minnesota-based company just announced updates to the Wolvhammer, a choice boot amongst winter bikepackers and fatbikers. Now in its third iteration, the latest Wolvhammer BOA, gets a BOA closure and a reworked toe box. When I asked 45NRTH about the evolution of the Wolvhammer over the years, the discussion got fairly technical. The basic takeaway is that the design and construction has been progressively refined—particularly the toe box and a purpose-built rubber outsole–with meticulous changes involving millimeters of space and material. Ultimately, 45NRTH claims these carful changes adds up to a boot that’s carefully designed and manufactured for the needs and nuances of winter cycling. Find specs and photos below, and make sure to read our review of the Wolvhammer from last season.
The Wolvhammer BOA features a waterproof-breathable membrane for moisture control, mid-calf height for protection and comfort, gaiter hook for fatbiking in deep snow, and added insulation above the ankle. Here are the specs:
- INSULATION 200g Primaloft; aerogel blanket under the foot
- OUTSOLE 45NRTH rubber outsole with anti-slip microglass rubber lugs, 2-bolt compatible
- MIDSOLE Fiberglass-injected nylon wih high impact resistance
- CLOSURE Tongue-mounted BOA M3 mid-power reel and lacing system
- SIZES Mens wide 36-50 (no size 49), full sizes only
- LASTS Wide last with tall toe box for extra insulation on top of the foot
- SUGGESTED TEMP RANGE 0 (18 C) to 25 F (-3 C)”
- PRICE $325 (available now)
Find more details at 45NRTH.com.