British Columbia-based Brodie Bicycles is perhaps best known for their drop bar Romax series, which was expanded in 2020 to offer loads of options and price points. I heard a completely new model was in the works, described as an “aluminum, fully rigid 29er with Jones-style handlebars.” Turns out, the new Brodie Mega Tour is the final product. With a name like that, it has to be good!
The Brodie Mega Tour is their take on a modern touring bike, focusing on a comfortable upright riding position and backcountry-capable build kit for smooth gravel, rough trails, and everything in between. At first glance it reminded me of the Trek 1120, which I spent a fair amount of time on last summer, and although it does have a similar vibe, its geometry is a little more modern (slacker head tube angle, steeper seat tube angle, longer front end), it comes with a 2×11 drivetrain, and isn’t specced with a dropper post. As promised, it comes with Brodie’s very own Jones-style handlebar, which they call a “D Style Double Bar,” so we can expect it to provide a fairly upright, comfortable riding position.
The Mega Tour is based around a 6061 Aluminum Frame, aluminum fork, hydraulic disc brakes, 29 x 2.4″ tires, and a wide-range Shimano Deore 2×11 drivetrain. The fork has triple pack mounts, rack mounts, and thru-axle spacing (the rear hub is quick-release), and the frame has triple pack mounts in the main triangle, plus top tube mounts for bolt-on top tube bags and rear rack mounts. At first glance, it looks well-equipped for bikepacking and comes in at a reasonable $1,625 CAD (~$1,300 USD), which is great value. I’m eager to see how it performs, and luckily we’ve already arranged a test bike for a closer look this summer.
Brodie Mega Tour Build Kit
- Frame 6061 Butted Shaped Aluminum Alloy
- Fork Rigid Alloy Fork
- Headset FSA No.9
- Crankset Shimano Deore M5100, 36T/26T
- Chain KMC X11, 11-Speed
- Shifter Shimano Deore M65100
- Front Derailleur Shimano XT M8020
- Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore M5120
- Cassette Shimano Deore M5100, 11-42T
- Brakes Shimano MT410 Hydraulic Disc, 160mm rotors
- Rims Alex EXR, 25mm internal width
- Front Hub Novatec D42SB, 15x100mm
- Rear Hub Shimano Deore M525, 10x135mm
- Tires WTB Ranger, 29×2.4″ / Tan Sidewall
- Handlebar Brodie Multi-Position D-Style Alloy
- Stem Brodie 3D Forged
- Grips Triple Density Craton/Gel Lock-on
- Seatpost Brodie Alloy 31.6mm
- Saddle WTB Koda, CroMo Rails
The Brodie Mega Tour comes in four sizes (S-XL) and a single Grey Haze paint job. You can find all the details over at BrodieBicycles.com.
Please keep the conversation civil, constructive, and inclusive, or your comment will be removed.