Over the years I’ve seen quite a few super-slack and long Cotic hardtails pop up on Pinkbike and other such enduro/MTB websites I loosely follow, and have always been intrigued. This morning, this one especially piqued my interest. The new Cotic BFeMAX is the UK-based company’s latest “crazy fast, super tough, 29er hardtail. It’s the result of gene-splicing our award winning, super fast SolarisMAX 29er trail hardtail, with our tough-as-old-boots, 27.5″ wheeled BFe do-it-all fun machine.” With clearance for 29 x 2.6″ tires (my favorite) and down-tube mounts, it looks like it might be a great singletrack bikepacking shredder. Here are some pics and specs.
With a 660mm top tube (large), a 65° head tube angle, and a 74.5° seat tube, it looks like its geometry might just hit a nice semi-aggressive/modern trail sweet spot. Here are all the specs from Cotic:
- Cotic Fm Heat Treated Cromoly throughout with reinforced Reynolds 853 down tube. Maximum strength at minimum weight
- 44mm standard head tube for maximum steerer compatibility and durability
- Ovalform top tube to boost precision and maximise compliance
- Cotic exclusive design reinforced 35mm seat tube for massive pedaling stiffness and dropper seatpost compatibility
- External dropper remote hose clips under the top tube
- Stealth/Internal seat tube dropper routing along the down tube
- Bridge-less S-bend chainstays with Cotic Hexten gussets for improved fatigue life and huge mud clearance: 29 x 2.6″ tyres run in the BFeMAX
- ISCG05 mount
- Syntace X-12 148×12 thru axle
- Geometry with commitment! Minimum 120mm travel forks, optimised around 140mm forks, maximum 160mm forks.
- Low slung design keeps the frame out of the way for those tight situations, and long top tube/short stem setup lets you ride up to the trails without breaking your back
- Loads of bottle bosses. Just because you’re getting rad, doesn’t mean you don’t need bottles.
- Sizes – Small (390mm seat tube), Medium (425mm), Large (460mm) and XL (495mm). The frames are designed to be compact and chuckable.
- Weight – 6.3 lbs for the Small
The Cotic comes in Gun Metal Copper and Bright Blue with the frame starting at £ 549.00. Find out more over at Cotic.co.uk.