Now that everybody is releasing a gravel bike, it was only a matter of time before Bellingham-based shred sled manufacturer Evil Bikes entered the arena. But rather than create another variation in the big-tire road bike theme, Evil embraced their Pacific Northwest roots and started with a trail bike to create the Chamois Hagar, a gravel bike unlike anything I’ve ever seen.
According to Evil, the Chamois Hagar “brings speed, stability, and that irrefutable Evil mischief to the otherwise safe and sensible drop bar market.” Is it a gravel bike? With a 66.67-degree headtube angle, a low-slung, lightweight frame, a 50mm stem, and a dropper post, who knows. But I’d certainly try one. Here are the details.
- MTB Geometry – For a gravel bike, this thing is about as close to a mountain bike as you can get with a long reach, a 66.8° headtube, and an ultra-low bottom bracket.
- CUSTOM FORK – Designed around a 66.8-degree headtube and 50mm stem. 57mm offset and 428mm axle-to-crown.
- NOEVERLAP – With a 66.8 headtube angle, Evil guarantees you will not rub your shoes on the front tire when turning, “one of the most heinous road bike traits.”
- 1x and 2x gearing options – close ratio and wide-range builds, internal routing and Di2 provisions.
- TIRE Clearance – The Evil Chamois Hagar will clear 700C x 50mm tires or larger 27.5 x 2.25″ rubber.
- 142 x 12 Rear Axle – The go-to rear-axle size for gravel for plenty of wheelset options.
- Seven bottle mounts – (six for size SM) with three inside the the front triangle, one pair under the downtube, one on the toptube, and two on the fork.
- WEATHER-SEALED FRAME – Being from the Pacific Northwest, Eveil outfitted it with frame plugs to keep contamination out.
- 80mm BOTTOM BRACKET DROP – Almost unheard of for gravel bikes. “It keeps big tires glued, provides innate cornering, and unflappable stability,” according to Evil.
- Low-slung – to accommodate a longer dropper post (125mm) than typical gravel bikes.
Evil Chamois Hagar GRX
The Evil Chamois Hagar is available in a high-end SRAM AXS kit for $5,784 USD or the base GRX kit shown below for $4,799.
- Available Sizes Small, Medium, Large, XLarge
- Frame Evil Chamois Hagar UD Carbon, Internal Routing, 142×12, Flat Mount Road
- Headset CaneCreek 40-Series IS42/H8-IS52/40(no race) w/compression preload
- Headset Spacers Poly Spacers 5mm black
- Fork Evil Carbon Chamois Hagar Fork, 12x100mm Thru-Axle, Flat Mount Brakes
- Handlebar EASTON EA70 AX,Reach 80mm, Drop 120mm, Flare 16˚, S 42cm / M 44cm / L &XL 46cm
- Stem Evil Stem, Length:50mm, Clamp:31.8
- Grips Evil Gravel Tape w/Gel
- Brake – Front Shimano GRX, Flat Mount
- Brake – Rear Shimano GRX, Flat Mount
- Rotor – Front Shimano SM-RT800 Center Lock, 160mm
- Rotor – Rear Shimano SM-RT800 Center Lock, 160mm
- Brake Adapter Flat Mount 160mm
- Shifter Shimano GRX Left: ST-RX810-LA “dropper”, Right: ST-RX810-R
- Rear Derailleur Shimano RD-RX812, GRX, 11sp, Shadow+
- Cassette Shimano CS-M8000,DEORE XT, 11-SPEED, 11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-32-37-46
- Chain Shimano CN-HG701-11
- Crankset Shimano FC-RX810-1, GRX, 172.5MM, 40T
- Bottom Bracket Shimano
- Wheels WTB Proterra Light i23, Tubeless
- Tires WTB Venture 700x50c TCS, w/ Tan Skin Wall
- Tubes Stan’s No Tube Tubless Sealant
- Seatpost BikeYoke, 30.9, S: 125mm, M/L: 160mm, XL: 185mm
- Saddle WTB SL8 Pro 142
The Evil Chamois Hagar is available to order now. Learn more over at Evil-Bikes.com.