- Angles (LG): 69° Head tube, 72° Seat tube
- Chainstay: 449mm
- Bottom Bracket: 68mm BSA threaded
- Hub specs: 15 x 150mm front / 12 x 148mm rear
- Seatpost Diameter: 27.2mm
- Max tire size: 27.5 x 3″ or 29 x 2.3-2.8″ tires
- Price (complete): $1,799
For years, Jones Bikes has been building only custom/complete bikes based around the Jones Plus, Spaceframe, and SWB frames. While the sticker price for these bikes has prevented many folks from owning a Jones, today things change. Jeff Jones has officially released his first out-of-the-box bike for $1,799. The Jones Plus SWB Complete Bike is based on the the Jones Plus frame design with a few differences that we’ll get to.
Like other sub-$2,000 complete bikes, the frame is made in Taiwan and the bike is assembled and boxed in China. For full details on who it’s made for, where it came from, and plenty of other details, watch the video below. Following the video, find full specs and details, as well as our preliminary thoughts on what looks good and bad about the Complete Jones Bike.
Jones Plus Complete Bicycle Frameset
As Jeff mentioned, the new Jones Plus SWB (Short Wheel Base) is built around a full 4130 chromoly steel butted tubeset with the all new Jones SWB Unicrown fork. The fork is also 4130 Chromoly steel with a machined steerer tube and butted, tapered, oval legs. The frame features 6mm hex thru-axles with a 150mm x 15mm axle up front and 148 x 12mm in the rear.
So, what’s different from other Jones bikes, you might ask? First off, the 4130 chromoly tubing is not heat-treated like that of other Jones frames, so in order to maintain the same strength, it’s inherently heavier. For the most part, heat treatment is fairly uncommon in mass-produced steel bikes, so this certainly isn’t a deal breaker. The Jones Plus Complete also uses a different top tube design that’s not tapered and butted; instead, it’s simply butted. Also, the Jones Plus SWB Complete Bicycle doesn’t use an Eccentric Bottom Bracket. This means that setting it up singlespeed or with a Rohloff would be challenging and would likely require a chain tensioner. It also uses different front dropouts and has a head badge decal instead of a metal one. Here are a few other frame details:
Jones Plus SWB Complete Frame Details
- All 4130 chromoly steel
- Standard 68mm BSA threaded bottom bracket shell
- Compatible with 1x or 2x “Boost” cranks
- Cable/housing bosses for a front derailleur
- Three rack and fender eyelets on and near the rear dropouts
- Full fender bosses on the seat and chainstay bridges
- Rack bosses on upper seatstays
- Standard 148x12mm thru-axle “Boost” rear hub spacing
- Fatbike standard 150x15mm thru-axle front hub spacing
- Triple-boss cage mount underneath the downtube
- Dual triple-boss cage mounts on the fork
- One triple-boss cage mount on the top of the down tube near the bottom bracket
- One standard two-boss mount closer to the headtube
- Chainstay-mounted I.S. rear disc brake mount for stiffness and ease of mounting fenders and racks
- 27.2mm seatpost size
- ED Black-coated Stainless steel water bottle bolts with washers
- Replaceable derailleur hanger
Jones Complete Bicycle Build Kit
The Jones Complete is specced with an entry level build kit featuring a few name brand components and others that aren’t branded at all. While this might raise some eyebrows, we think that Jeff probably did his homework in making a generally solid kit. That said, it is likely heavy and has some good and some not so good points when it comes to bikepacking.
We can’t comment much on this wheelset as it’s mostly generic and we have zero experience with these rims. However, given Jeff’s attention to detail and general perfectionism, my guess is that they’re durable and suitable for bikepacking. The question will be how heavy they are and what the rolling weight will be. We’ll have to test them to find out.
- Front Hub 150x15mm Thru-Axle hub with Sealed Cartridge Bearings
- Rear Hub 32 hole 148x12mm Boost hub with Sealed Cartridge Bearings, Black, Shimano Driver
- Rims Shining DB-X50 50mm wide double wall anodized black 6061-T6 Aluminum
- Rim Tape Tubeless compatible rim tape
- Spokes 14 gauge stainless steel, black
- Spoke Nipples Chromed brass nipples
- Tires Maxxis Chronicle 27.5 x 3″, 60 TPI
- Tubes 27.5X3″, Presta valve, Butyl Rubber
Given the industry’s push toward 12-speed dirivetrains, and great wide-range 1×11 solutions, we were a little surprised to see the Jones Complete Bicycle specced with a 1×10. That said, there is a lot you can do with 1×10, and parts to make it a 2x certainly wouldn’t break the bank. As a 1×10, the biggest concern would be the minimum chainring allowed by the one-piece spider crankset. This is likely a 30T ring, which, when combined with the 11-42 10-speed cassette, would be pushing it for a loaded trip on steep mountainous terrain. A front derailleur and 2x crank, or a direct mount 1x crankset would be a sensible first upgrade for the Jones Plus Complete.
- Crankset 2-piece aluminum Boost, 24mm chromoly spindle, 104BCD, 165mm (S), 170mm (M/L)
- Chainring 32t Machined narrow-wide
- Bottom Bracket Sealed Cartridge External Bearing, threaded
- Cassette Sunrace CSMS2; 11-42t, 10-speed, steel, ED black coating
- Rear Derailleur 10 speed Shimano Deore RD-M6000-GS Shadow RD+
- Shifter Shimano Deore SL-M6000, 10 Speed
- Shift housing Jagwire LEX-SL, 5mm
- Chain KMC X10, with MissingLink, 10 speed
- Shifter Cable Jagwire KEB-SL Elite Ultra-Slick, Highly polished stainless steel
- Chain Stay Protector Clear plastic decal
The Jones Complete Bicycle is specced with standard, cable actuated, mechanical disc brakes from Tektro. The MD-M300 features a one-piece aluminum body, Automatic Caliper Centering (A.C.C), inside pad adjustment, and a barrel adjuster for cable tension and outside pad adjustment. While I don’t have any experience with these brakes, Jeff seems to like them. The big rotors are a nice touch for more power and better cooling.
- Brake Calipers Tektro MD-M300
- Rotors/Disks Tektro 200mm front and 180mm rear, 6 bolt
- Brake Levers Tektro MT 2.1. with adjustable cable position
- Brake Cables Jagwire KEB-SL Elite Ultra-Slick
- Headset 1-1⁄8” Jones Caged Ball bearing headset
- Seatpost Zoom, 400mm Setback Aluminum, Black
- Seatpost Clamp Zoom Alloy Quick Release with Brass Bushing. 31.8mm
- Stem Zoom Near-Net Forged
- Handlebar Jones SG Aluminum Loop H-Bar, 710mm, Black
- Grips Jones H-Grip for 710mm H-Bars with large bar plug, Black
- Bar Tape Jones H-Bar Tape on the rear crossbar
- Saddle Velo, Black with black steel rails.
In our opinion, unless you’re looking for a singlespeed or Rohloff-specific rig, the new Jones Plus SWB Complete is certainly appealing, especially if you’re interested in the Jones geometry and platform. And while the build kit is entry level, and likely heavy, it’s hard to judge on paper. We look forward to testing one to find out how it all came together. In the meantime, find plenty of details and Jeff’s rationale in the video above, or find more info at the web store listing.
Please keep the conversation civil, constructive, and inclusive, or your comment will be removed.