Posted by Logan Watts
Wahoo Fitness just announced its new ELEMNT ROAM, the brand’s third GPS cycling computer. We reviewed the ELEMNT last year, but ROAM is a significant upgrade, according to the company. It sports a new form factor and is their first unit with a color screen, and the first to offer expanded navigation features.
As you probably gathered from the video, the marketing spiel behind ROAM is “to help cyclists ride farther, longer, and explore new roads or trails.” To do so, it offers several new Smart Navigation features that can automatically route you back onto a planned itinerary when you go off course, create a new route on the fly, or help you find the fastest way home. These features include:
- Get Me Started: Navigates cyclists to the start of their route
- Back On Track: Navigates cyclists back to their route if they take a wrong turn
- Take Me To: Allows cyclists to select a location on their ROAM using new pan and zoom functionality, and get directions to that location
- Saved Locations: Route to locations saved on ROAM
- Route To Start: Find the shortest route back to the start of your ride
- Retrace Route: Reverse your route to navigate back to the start along the original route
ROAM features a 2.7” color display and Wahoo claims it still gets a 17+ hour battery life. Like the Wahoo ELEMNT, ROAM comes with a free smartphone-based app for initial setup and ongoing management. Other new features include an ambient light sensor that automatically turns the screen backlight on or off and adjusts the brightness of the screen and Quick Look LEDs through changing light conditions, indoors or out. It also includes an integrated, patented, out-front mount.
ROAM also integrates with several Wahoo Fitness apps, add-ons, and features for training and monitoring. ROAM is available now at WahooFitness.com, and through all Wahoo dealers for $379.99. Learn more over at WahooFitness.com.