About two months ago we teamed up with Rodeo Labs to release an exclusive first look at their new Flaanimal 5.0. If you haven’t already seen that article, it’s worth taking the time to read. Stephen Fitzgerald, the Founder of Rodeo Labs, spared no detail – likely answering many of the questions you’ll have if you’re interested in picking one up. Find that article here. Now, Rodeo Labs has officially opened preorders for the latest Flaanimal model, available as either a black frame (naked) with your choice of decals or as a coloured frame with a Cerakote finish. Custom finishes are also available upon request.
Here’s a quick breakdown of some key aspects of the Flaanimal 5.0:
- CNC Machined Yoke / Dropped Stay: The yoke contributes to Flaanimal 5.0’s ability to run 700c x 50mm or 650b x 2.4” maximum tire sizes. Slider position is adjustable for tuning chainstay clearance. The max 1x chainring size on Flaanimal 5.0 is 46t, and 2x cranksets as small as 24t/36t up to 34t/50t are also possible on the frameset.
- Integrated Carbon Seat Tube: Not only does the custom rolled unidirectional carbon seat tube “add lightness,” it also adds a distinctive technical note to the frameset’s visual style.
- Integrated Carbon Head Tube: The leading surface of the head tube is laser cut and, similar to our 5.0 seat tube, we replaced the steel with a unidirectional carbon sleeve.. The net effect is not only lighter, but also brings the head tube and seat tubes into visual parity while retaining the full strength and durability of a typical solid head tube.
- Japanese Custom Butted, Heat Treated Tubing: We worked with a longstanding tubeset supplier in Japan that allowed us to custom draw size-specific tubesets for 5.0, and also heat treat it for equal or better strength to weight characteristics as compared to 4.0. With the addition of tire clearance on 5.0, we see the potential for riders to take on even more aggressive terrain so we increased wall thickness of key sections of tube to add strength in critically stressed areas.
- Spork 3.0: Spork 3.0 carries forward the key features of Spork 2.0 such as full carbon construction, internal dynamo routing, adaptable axle spec, and configurable eyelet options, and brings it all together in a slimmer, lighter package. Flaanimal 5.0 will change to 12×100 front thru axles but retain the ability to convert to 15×100 if your build requires it.
All Flaanimal 5.0 frames are anti-rust treated with a black ED dip that coats all surfaces of the frame, both inside and out. Flaanimal 5.0 will be available with satin clearcoat over the bare ED finish, plus your choice of vinyl decal colour. For an extra $300 you can get a full Cerakote treatment; a ceramic and liquid polymer coating that is thinner than liquid paint at .001 inch thick, it’s abrasion / wear resistant, corrosion resistant, chemical resistant, and impact resistant. Cerakote finished frames will be available in one of four design options: Redneck Racing Green, PSL, Bougie, or Bleaux Four.
The Rodeo Labs Flaanimal 5.0 comes in six different sizes (49-61cm) and is priced at $1,475 USD for the naked finish and $1,775 USD for a Cerakote finish. For complete builds, Rodeo Labs will follow up with you directly to finalize component spec and pricing. The Flaanimal 5.0s are expected to land mid-April.
Head over to Rodeo-Labs.com to preorder yours today.
Please keep the conversation civil, constructive, and inclusive, or your comment will be removed.