Designed specifically for mud and inclement conditions, the aptly named Salsa Stormchaser is a singlespeed gravel bike built around a lightweight aluminum frame and carbon fork. The Stormchaser has a few interesting features that might woo over some graveleurs and weekend singlespeed bikepackers, or perhaps someone looking for a Rohloff-friendly frame. Scroll down for all the details, specs, and a launch video.
- Angles: 70° Headtube, 73° Seattube
- Chainstay: 435-450mm
- Bottom Bracket: 73mm Threaded
- Hub specs: 12 x 100mm (front); 12 x 142mm (rear)
- Seatpost Diameter: 27.2mm
- Max Tire Size: 650b x 50mm / 700c x 50mm
Taking geometry cues from the Warbird, the Stormchaser’s numbers look to harness some of the same long-ride stability as its geared gravel sibling. It also carries over the arched Class 5 VRS seat stays designed to soak up chatter and vibrations for more long distance comfort. A few of Stormchaser’s mud-friendly features include steel abrasion plates on the fork’s interior, internal cable routing, fender mounts, and extra tire clearance to keep mud from clogging things up. All told, the frame has clearance for either 700c x 50mm or 650b x 50mm tires, although I’m guessing a 2.1″ tire could fit comfortably based on photos.
The Stormchaser features a 27.2mm seatpost, a 73mm BSSA threaded bottom bracket, and comes equipped with all-new Alternator Flat Mount dropouts for single speed setups, or 1x drivetrains with a swappable geared dropout plate. I’m guessing you could run a Rohloff or other internally geared hub, but I’m honestly not quite sure how that would fare with the new flat-mount brake mount. Feel free to chime in with a comment below if you have any thoughts.
Salsa Stormchaser Complete Build
Here’s the full build spec on the $1499 complete.
- Frame Stormchaser Aluminum
- Fork Stormchaser Carbon
- Color Copper
- Front Der Nope
- Rear Der Nope
- Cassette 17t and 18t cogs with spacer kit
- Chain KMC Z1 Anti-Rust
- Crankset Race Face Ride, 38t
- Shifter Nope
- Brakes & Rotors TRP Spyre-C Flat Mount, 160 mm rotors, TRP RRL levers
- Headset (Upper/Lower) FSA No.42 ACB
- Stem Salsa Guide
- Handlebar Salsa Cowchipper
- Grips/Bar Tape MSW HBT-300 Anti-Slip Gel handlebar tape
- Seatpost Salsa Guide
- Saddle WTB Volt 135 Sport
- Front Wheel WTB Serra 12 x 100 mm hub, WTB ST i23 700c rim
- Rear Wheel WTB Serra 12 x 142 mm hub, WTB ST i23 700c rim
- Tires Teravail Rutland, 700c x 42 mm, Durable casing
The Salsa Stormchaser will be available in April from Salsa dealers as a complete singlespeed gravel bike for $1499, or as a frameset for $1099. Learn more over at SalsaCycles.com.
Please keep the conversation civil, constructive, and inclusive, or your comment will be removed.