A Guided Four Night Bike Camping Celebration into Southwest Michigan
– Thursday, July 7, 8:00 AM – Tuesday, July 11, 7:00 PM CDT
– Featuring: Lake Michigan | Sand Dunes | Local Craft Beer, Food, Wine
– Ridership Level: Intermediate-Advanced | Pace: 12-15mph |
– Mileage: Day One 75 mi | Day Two 45 mi | Day Three – off day with 25 mi loop option | Day Four 40 mi | Day Five 60 miles and South Shore Train from South Bend, IN to Chicago
– Max riders – 40 with 7-8 guides | $375 Early Bird (until June 10), $450 regular price
– 4 nights/5 days of bike camping (It is possible to join us a day late and leave a day early if needed)
– Campsites: Indiana Dunes National Park, Weko Beach in Bridgman, MI, Van Buren State Park
– All meals are included except breakfast and lunch on Day One and lunch on Day 3
– Sag van that will carry one school sized backpack per rider
– Welcoming and helpful guides
This ride is an ecstatic celebration of Lake Michigan and all that it coast has to offer. This is going down in the heart of the summer and there will be plenty of chances to go swimming in our gem of a lake. Hence the name, the SWMI, “swimmy”, ride. Roll with some of the best guides OOFD has to offer as we finally break into our 4th state, Michigan! Learn about the ecology of the lake and the lake shore while also exploring some of its hidden gems and excellent local spots.
We understand pulling off a 5 day ride might be tough, so you can join us Thursday night or Friday morning at the Dunes. The south shore train is super convenient for this. Also, if you need to dip out on Sunday, the Amtrak and South Shore can get ya back to the city no problem. But the price for the trip is all the same, so you should take advantage of this extended summertime adventure if you can.
Day 1 we ride that beaut of a route to the Indiana Dunes. This is the biggest day. About 75 miles and camp at the national park. Day 2 we roll out around noon and slow roll our way about 45 miles up to Weko Beach Campground in Bridgman, MI. Day 3 is a chill day. Relax on the beach all day or ride into town for some beers or hop on the 25ish mile loop that an OOFD will be leading. Or even go adventure off on your own through the gorgeous country roads of Michigan beer and wine country. So much good beer, food, wine, and beach to explore. The campground is a 4 minute walk to a stellar beach and the epic dunes of Warren are just a few minute walk down the beach. Day 4 we ride about 40 miles up to Van Buren State Park which is just south of Grand Haven, MI. Day 5 we ride about 60 miles to South Bend, IN and hop the South Shore Train back to the city. A UHaul will transport bikes back to Chicago as the South Bend stop cannot take bikes this year due to track construction.