Just announced, Hyperlite Mountain Gear’s brand new Dirigo 2 is a two-person, three-season shelter constructed from five different kinds of Dyneema® Composite Fabrics, all selected for the optimal ratios of weight, waterproofness, breathability, and durability. It weighs in at an impressively light 1 pound, 12 ounces, and its fully seam-sealed, waterproof Dyneema® construction eliminates the need for a separate rainfly. It packs down to just 12″ x 8″ x 6″, making it easy to stuff into a frame bag or handlebar roll, too.
Though the Dirigo 2 was conceived with a trekking pole support in mind, bikepackers and packrafters will be happy to know that it’s equally capable of protecting them from Mother Nature using paddles or adjustable carbon poles like those from Ruta Locura. And as its name implies, the Dirigo 2 sleeps two people and has twin doors and vestibules for easy entry and added storage.
Founder and CEO of Hyperlite Mountain Gear Mike St. Pierre had the following to say about their latest shelter, “When we began working on the Dirigo 2 in 2014, we found a compelling design challenge: how do we build a floored shelter that delivers the durability and light weight for which Hyperlite Mountain Gear is known, while also providing a confidence-inspiring tent that is stable in all conditions encountered on the trail. We endeavored to produce the best tent for the Appalachian Trail or Pacific Crest Trail and I believe we hit the mark.”
- Weight: 1.75 lbs (28 oz /794g)
- Floor Size: 52″ wide x 90″ long (132 cm x 228 cm)
- Packed Size: 12” x 8” x 6” (30.4cm x 20.3cm x 15.2cm)
- Interior Peak Height: 45″ (114.5cm)
- Capacity: Two people
- Doors: Two
- Place of Manufacture: Biddeford, Maine, USA
- Price: $795
Similar to other products we’ve used and enjoyed from Hyperlite Mountain Gear, the new Dirigo 2 appears to cram in a multitude of smart features where they matter, while still maintaining a streamlined, minimalist design. And like other offerings from Hyperlite Mountain Gear, the Dirigo is hand built by their team of highly skilled craftspeople in Biddleford, Maine, who’ve been working with fabrics like Dyneema® for around a decade. Of course, producing an ultralight shelter in the US from high-tech fabrics comes at a cost, and the Dirigo 2 is priced at $795.
DIRIGO 2 FEATURES
- Easy entry/exit for two with dual entry
- Breathable panels at head and foot to combat condensation
- Two vestibules for exterior gear storage with #5 Uretek YKK Zippers
- Two large mesh walls for maximum ventilation
- Pitches with two trekking poles and eight stakes
- Carbon Fiber ‘Ridge Bar’ adds superior strength and stability
- Reflective guy-out points
- Internal mesh hanging stow pocket
- Internal D-rings for clothesline
- Two side wall guy-out points for increased internal space
- Fully seam-sealed
- Line-locs on all guy-out points
- Includes X-Large Drawstring Stuff Sack for storage
- Stake Kit sold separately
- Made in Biddeford, Maine, USA
Designing The Dirigo 2
The folks at Hyperlite Mountain Gear put together this short video that offers an overview of the Dirigo 2, told from the perspective of product designer Erin O’Toole. It offers a nice look at the tent’s construction and technology, as well as a peek into Hyperlite Mountain Gear HQ.
You can find complete details on the new Dirigo 2 via the product page at HyperliteMountainGear.com. And don’t forget that we’re giving away a Hyperlite Mountain Gear UltaMid 2 Ultralight Pyramid Tent to one of our Bikepacking Collective Members this weekend. Make sure you get signed up before 11:59 pm EST this Sunday, March 17th, to be eligible to win!
FILED IN (CATEGORIES & TAGS)
Please keep the conversation civil, constructive, and inclusive, or your comment will be removed.