We’ve got something extra special lined up for our 24th Collective Reward gear giveaway. One lucky Bikepacking Collective member (it’s not too late to join!) will receive an UltaMid 2 Ultralight Pyramid Tent courtesy of our friends at Hyperlite Mountain Gear. Weighing in at just 1.17 pounds (534g) and made in the USA from 100% waterproof Dyneema® Composite Fabrics, we’ve been hugely impressed by the super light, super spacious UltaMid 2. In fact, it even earned a place in our 2016 Bikepacking Gear of the Year Awards. Along with the UltaMid 2, the winner will also receieve a set of Ruta Locura 710 carbon fiber tent poles that conveniently break down into four sections for packing. The retail value of this giveaway is $820, and we’re thrilled to be able to set one of our supporters up with this shelter to enjoy for years to come.
Cass put his UltaMid 2 through the wringer, sleeping in it during countless nights in a wide variety of environments and conditions. From a multi-week bikepacking trip through Bolivia and Peru, to route scouting in Georgia’s Caucasus Mountains, to a riding through the expansive Salar de Uyuni salt flats, he thoroughly tested the UltaMid 2 for his long-term review (read it here).
According to Cass, “The UltaMid 2 is hands down the best tent I’ve tried. Not only is it a refreshingly fun shelter to camp in, it’s both versatile ridiculously light – especially given its generous headroom, cavernous living space, and the fact that it’s hardy enough for genuine 4 season use. The latter is something that can’t be said of all ultralight shelters.”
UltaMid 2 Features
- Made in America
- Fully seam sealed
- Constructed with DCF8 Dyneema® Composite Fabrics
- Water resistant two-way zipper
- Comes with an X-Large Drawstring Stuff Sack
- 8 reinforced perimeter tie-outs
- Line locks on all perimeter tie-outs
- 4 center panel tie-outs
- Specially designed cone to prevent deformation when using oddly shaped poles, paddles, sticks or skis
- Dual peak vents that can open and close
- Vents covered with no-see-um netting
- Tie out on cone for hanging the mid from a tree
- Larger than traditional mids
- Equipped with eight 3’ 2.8mm UHMWPE Core Guy Lines for perimeter tie-outs
- Includes additional 100’ of 2.8mm UHMWPE Core Guy Line for center panel tie-outs
- Can be pitched high off the ground or tight to the ground
- Use for four season Backpacking, Alpine climbing, Ski touring, Packrafting, and more
- Weight 1.17 lbs (534g)
- Packed Size 28.5” x 6” x 5.5” (21.6cm x 15.2cm x 14cm)
- Area 63 sq. ft
- Materials DCF8
- Width 6’ 11” (210.8cm)
- Length 8’ 11” (271.8cm)
- Height 5’ 4” (162.6cm)
From Hyperlite Mountain Gear, “When it comes to portable shelter, few designs have been as thoroughly time-tested and proven as those built in the pyramid-style. They’re easy to set up, efficiently spacious, and because of things like physics, incredibly capable of providing sanctuary in all but the most extreme weather.”
Details and Eligibility
This giveaway is open to all members of our Bikepacking Collective. If you’re not already a member, join here before 11:59 pm EST on Sunday, March 17th, and you’ll be entered to win. If you’d like to read some additional thoughts on the Bikepacking Collective and why we need your support, you can do so here. Already joined? No need to do anything – you’re all set!
Please keep the conversation civil, constructive, and inclusive, or your comment will be removed.