Formerly Remōt, OBED is a direct to consumer brand that’s part of the Chattanooga, Tennessee-based, American Bicycle Group (ABG), makers of Litespeed and Quintana Roo (titanium and triathlon companies, respectively). OBED offers a small range of three carbon bikes: the all-road Baseline, the Seclud mountain bike, and the Boundary. The Boundary is OBED’s dedicated gravel platform, which you might recognize from our Sea Otter coverage in 2019. All of OBED’s bikes are are handpainted and assembled to order in their TN facility. OBED just released the Boundary MLT, which stands for mullet. Essentially, it’s the same frame as the Boundary, but offers a suite of build options suited for rugged dirt road exploits. Read on for details…
Contrary to what the are acronym might imply, the OBED Boundary MLT isn’t specced with a mixed wheelset or a half road half MTB drivetrain. Instead, it’s based on a new component selection tailored to riding rugged trails, rutted dirt roads, and steeper descents, all the while, keeping to the Boundary’s all-road geometry.
The Boundary MLT online builder starts with a choice of 700 x 45mm tires or a 650b version with meatier 2.05″ (53mm) tires, both mounted to HED Emporia GA Performance wheels. From there you can customize your crank arm length, handlebar width, and stem length. The MLT features a Shimano GRX 810 1X gravel groupset, a KS Lev SI dropper post operated from the Shimano STI left shifter, wider flared bars, and a shorter stem to provide extra control. Here’s the full kit.
- Headset: Cane Creek 40 Series
- Stem: FSA Energy 70mm
- Handlebar: FSA AGX Alloy, 46mm
- Seatpost: KS LEV Si 65mm dropper post
- Saddle: WTB Volt Medium Cromoly
- Shifters: Shimano GRX RX810 with dropper lever
- Rotors: Shimano MT800 160mm
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano GRX RX812
- Crankset: Shimano GRX RX810, 40T
- Cassette: Shimano XT M8000 11-42
- Chain: Shimano HG701
- Bottom Bracket: Praxis
- Tires: Kenda Flintridge 700cx45c / Kenda Honey Badger 650bx52.5mm
- Wheelset: HED Emporia GA, 24h, 25mm Internal Width Rims
- Brakeset: Shimano GRX RX810 Hydraulic
- Fork: Boundary Carbon, Multiple Rack/Fender/Cargo Mounts
The OBED Boundary MLT is a semi-custom, made-to-order build with the option of four different decal colors and seven different frame colors, painted and built in Chattanooga, TN. The MLT retails for $3,565 or you can get the frameset for $1,820. Learn more over at OBEDbikes.com.
Make sure to dig into these related articles for more info...
Please keep the conversation civil, constructive, and inclusive, or your comment will be removed.