The new Trek Farley Winter Edition is kitted out with a complete rack system, custom frame bag, downtube fender, and slick rear rack harness system. Check it out here…
Trek turned heads in 2017 with the 1120, a 29+ adventure bike that came with a set of vibrant, unique racks for loaded adventures. It was (and still) is a promising option for bikepacking, but we’ve been waiting to see an update to the rear rack’s harness system. While the 1120 appears to be unchanged for 2023, the new Trek Farley Winter Edition (Farley 9) uses a similar rack system and an entirely new rear harness setup that looks more functional at first glance.
The new Trek Farley Winter Edition is a special version of their Farley fat bike platform but comes kitted out with their minimal front cradle, a burly looking rear rack, a bolt-on frame bag, downtube fender, and a new rear rack harness setup. It features an Alpha Platinum Aluminum frame with a tapered head tube, internal rear derailleur and dropper post routing, a threaded BB, and a 197x12mm rear dropout. For bikepacking provisions, it has mounts for a top tube bag, strapless full frame bag mounts, a downtube fender mount, lower downtube accessory mounts, and seat stay rear rack mounts. The fork is Trek’s Farley carbon model with a tapered alloy steerer, crown rack mounts, three-pack cage mounts on both legs, and a 150x15mm thru axle.
As far as the parts kit, it’s built up around a SRAM GX Eagle 12-speed drivetrain, SUNRingle Mulefut 80 SL rims, Bontrager Gnarwhal rubber, a TranzX dropper post, and four-piston SRAM Level brakes. The frame bag is size-specific, ranging from 3.8L to 5L, and the rear harness system holes up to 15L of gear. The total weight a complete medium build with tubes comes in at a hefty 40.35 pounds (18.3 kilograms).
Trek Farley Winter Edition Build
Here’s the full build kit from Trek…
- Hub front: Bontrager alloy, sealed bearing, 6-bolt, 15x150mm thru axle
- Skewer front: Bontrager Switch thru axle, removable lever
- Hub rear: Bontrager alloy/sealed bearing, 6-bolt, Rapid Drive 108, Shimano freehub
- Skewer rear: Bontrager Switch thru axle, removable lever
- Rim: SUNRingle Mulefut 80 SL, 32-hole cutout
- Tire: Bontrager Gnarwhal Team Issue, 120 tpi, 27.5×4.50″
- Shifter: SRAM GX Eagle, 12 speed
- Rear derailleur: SRAM GX Eagle
- Crank: SRAM X1 1000 Eagle, DUB, 30T ring, 170mm S/M/L, 175mm XL
- Bottom bracket: SRAM DUB, 100mm, BSA threaded
- Cassette: SRAM PG-1230 Eagle, 11-50, 12 speed
- Chain: SRAM NX Eagle, 12 speed
- Pedal: VP-536 nylon platform
- Saddle: Bontrager Verse Elite, austenite rails, 145mm width
- Seatpost: TranzX JD-YSP18, 100mm (S), 130mm (M), 150mm (L/XL), 31.6mm
- Handlebar: Bontrager Rhythm Comp, alloy, 31.8mm, 15mm rise, 750mm width
- Grips: Bontrager XR Trail Comp, nylon lock-on
- Stem: Bontrager alloy, 31.8mm, 7°, 50mm/60mm/70mm (S/M L-XL)
- Headset: FSA IS-2, 1-1/8″ top, 1.5″ bottom
- Brake: SRAM Level Bronze 4-piston hydraulic disc
- Brake rotor: SRAM CenterLine, 6-bolt, round-edge, 160mm
- Rear Bag: Farley compression harness, up to 915 cu in (15L)
- Frame Bag: Adventure Boss full-frame bag
- Front rack: Farley custom front rack, Lava gloss
- Rear Rack: Farley custom rear rack, Lava gloss
- Weight: M – 18.30 kg / 40.35 lbs (with tubes)
- Weight limit: 300 pounds (136 kg) – combined weight of bike/rider/cargo
The Trek Farley 9 Winter Edition costs $3,999 USD and can be purchased through your local Trek dealer. For folks who aren’t interested in the racks and extras, there are also new builds and frame colors of the standard Farley available. Head over to TrekBikes.com to see the entire lineup.
Make sure to dig into these related articles for more info...
FILED IN (CATEGORIES & TAGS)
Please keep the conversation civil, constructive, and inclusive, or your comment will be removed.