The Surly Troll: Gin’s ‘Steve’
Steve has been a trustworthy and tough steed that has now been on two international tours. He has a few scratches and dings, but still looks sharp.
The great thing about a Troll is versatility. It can be an around-the-world bike with standard 26″ hoops. It can be a fairly aggressive dirt bike. It can even be a semi-speedy roadster.
This past iteration, shown in these photos, was a much lighter setup than when this Troll was fully loaded in it’s former life. Two large rear panniers and a packed front lowrider rack was somewhere around 20-30 pounds heavier. The current setup definitely made the ride more fun, and a tubeless front helped minimize the bumps along the way.
Build and Parts List
- Frame: 16″ Surly Troll (custom coated RAL 5009)
- Rear Hub: Rohloff Speedhub 500/14
- Front Hub: Shimano XT Disc
- Wheels: Velocity Cliff Hangers
- Cranks: Shimano Deore LX (oldschool and bulletproof)
- Ring: Surly Stainless 38t
- Chain: Wippermann 808
- Tires: Schwalbe Marathon Mondial 2″ / Schwalbe Marathon XR 2″
- Bottom Bracket: SKF
- Brakes: Avid BB7 / Avid levers
- Headset: Chris King Nothreadset (pink beotch)
- Handlebar: Random brand traded for her Trekking bars in El Salvador
- Stem: Easton EA70
- Saddle: Selle Anatomica Titanico
- Seatpost: Easton EA70
- Pedals: Blackspire El Gordo
- Front Rack: Salsa Minimalist
- Rear Rack: Salsa Minimalist
- Other Accessories: Carradice Bagman QR; Salsa Rack Lock Seatpost Clamp