This year’s Ultra Distance Scholarship is presented by UK-based Stayer Cycles. With the mission of increasing representation within the world of ultra-cycling events, Stayer has partnered up with Wizard Works, Pretty Decent Beer Company, Albion, Outdoor Provisions, The Racing Collective, Hope Tech, and Veloqi.cc to support three scholarship recipients who plan to attend next year’s GBDURO event.
“We want to see the thing that we love (cycling, bikes, riding the bikes!) enjoyed by everyone. The wonderful world of cycling is not an inviting and accessible one for everyone. This scholarship was created to elevate representation in the discipline of Ultra Distance racing and to amplify conversations around the lack of diversity in the cycling world at large and hopefully inspire others in the industry to take initiative. White supremacy does not only show up in overt forms, it trickles down quietly through systems that support white success at the expense of others. Those of us in positions of influence have the power to inspire change.” – Stayer Cycles
Three recipients will each receive the following:
- A GBDURO-ready, STAYER bike, specific to ultra-distance racing, and your fit
- A spot in GBDURO 2022
- Coaching support from performance coach Alison Wood of Veloqi for 10 months from November 2021 – August 2022
- Bikepacking bags from Wizard Works
- Performance racing kit from Albion
- Sustenance from Outdoor Provisions over the training period and up to the race
- One-on-one mentorship from a legendary ultra racer over the training period, a new development for 2022, creating a community and network of support
For those not interested in applying, donations are being accepted to help cover the expense of components needed for the recipients bikes. Find application and donation info at StayerCycles.com.
FILED IN (CATEGORIES & TAGS)
Please keep the conversation civil, constructive, and inclusive, or your comment will be removed.