Words and photos by Dave Nice
Hi, I’m Dave Nice in Cascade, Colorado. Some folks know me as “Fixie Dave.” I have been a bicycle mechanic off and on for 25 years, and I’m currently fixing up a cabin with my partner. I’ve raced the Tour Divide, the Colorado Trail, and numerous 24-hour races over the years. I have never driven a car, and I pedal nearly everywhere.
I was incredibly impressed with the Velo Orange Neutrino, and I rode that a bunch. My friend Christopher had taken a job at Bike Friday a few years ago, and we discussed a few times what possibly could be the ultimate mini velo. Fast-forward to the release of the All-Packa and Joe Cruz’s excellent review, and I knew I had to get one.
I chatted with Willie Hatfiled from Bike Friday about having one built with track ends, and a few months later, Bike Friday All-Packa #15 was delivered to me! Looking ahead, I will be getting a new fork and offset rear triangle to allow for 2.8 tires for it soon.
- Frame/Fork: Bike Friday All-Packa
- Rims: Velocity Cliffhangers 406 size (20” BMX)
- Hubs: Paul Components (100mm front, 135mm rear)
- Tires: Kenda Booster Pro 20 x 2.4″, tubeless
- Handlebars: Bike Friday Packalope
- Headset: Wolf Tooth Components
- Crankset: Ritchey square taper, 170mm
- Pedals: Tectonic
- Cassette: Problem Solvers 17T
- Brakes: Avid Ultimate lever paired to Paul Components Klamper
- Saddle: Brooks C17
- Seatpost: Thomson
- Stem: Specialized
- Front bags: Ortlieb
- Frame bags: Take a Trip
- Rear bags: Jpaks
- Accessory bags: Jpaks
- Other accessories: Some aluminum cut and bent into a front rack attached to the steerer tube
You can find more from Dave on Instagram.
Send Us Your Bikepacking Rig
Use the form below to submit your bikepacking rig. We’ll choose one per week to feature in a Reader’s Rig Dispatch and on Instagram. To enter, email us your best photo of the bike (preferably at a 90° angle), your Instagram username (optional), and a short description of you and your rig. If your bike is selected, we’ll need a total of five photos and a little bit more info.
Make sure to dig into these related articles for more info...
Please keep the conversation civil, constructive, and inclusive, or your comment will be removed.