Here’s a category of bikepacking gear you don’t often hear about. We’ve seen a couple of backpacks designed to carry a bike, but the Restrap Hike a Bike Harness is the first minimal harness system we know of. In summary, the Hike A Bike Harness is a minimal system designed to fit to almost any bike, allowing you quickly portage your bike over technical or challenging terrain using retractable straps.
What’s interesting about the Restrap Hike a Bike Harness is that it comes in a fairly svelte package that remains attached to your bike’s top tube. Restrap claims that it allows you to unroll the strap system and go from pedaling to carrying your bike in a matter of seconds (and vice versa). This seems especially useful for big alpine routes or situations where you have to portage your bike several times per day. It also might come in handy for bigger sections, such as the Grand Canyon traverse on the Arizona Trail, although that would require further disassembly of the bike. Watch the video below to see how it works, and read on for specs and details…
Restrap Hike a Bike Harness Features
The Restrap Hike a Bike Harness is made from robust TPU-coated Nylon and weighs just 235 grams. It packs up to what appears to be a burrito-sized roll that can remain strapped to the top tube and not interfere with your riding. Restrap claims that its adjustable mounting points and lightweight design allow you to tailor the harness to fit your bike. The system includes two retention straps and a long fast strap to secure the front wheel in place.
Here’s the feature list from Restrap:
- Quick and easy harness to fit most bikes
- Go from riding to carrying and back in a matter of seconds
- Allows you to walk up tough hike a bike terrain hands free and well balanced
- Doesn’t get in the way while riding
- Breathable padded section which keeps the bike comfortable on your shoulders
- Adjustable mounting points using super-strong modified Fast Straps to tailor the fit to most bikes
- Extra long Fast Strap included to hold the front wheel in-line, to prevent swing.
- Made from waterproof TPU coated Nylon.
The Restrap Hike a Bike Harness weighs 235 grams, comes with a lifetime warranty, and is available to order Internationally for $79.99. Find all the details at Restrap.com.
Please keep the conversation civil, constructive, and inclusive, or your comment will be removed.