Bikepacking Ometepe Island Figure 8, Nicaragua
75 Mi.(121 KM)
% Rideable (time)
The island was formed by Volcan de Conception and Volcan Madera which are a part of the Cordillera Los Marrabios volcano range jutting straight out of the massive freshwater lake. From Granada we caught the four hour ferry to the island ready for a dirt-road adventure. Over three days on Ometepe we got a taste of some fantastic riding, a wealth of natural beauty, and vintage island charm.
- Nice dirt roads that get technical at times
- Seeing howler monkeys on the roadside
- Hostel Finca Magdelena
- Eggs, beans, and tostones… the typical Nicaraguan meal.
- Nicaragua’s dry season runs from November to April.
- UPDATE: There is no longer a ferry running from/to Granada, so you must go via Rivas and San Jorge port.
There are ferries that travel from Granada to Ometepe regularly.
- There are also ferries that leave from Moyogalpa to Rivas.
- There are a couple pay to camp places on the island.
- Plenty of hostels and cheap hotels ($5-10/pp).
- There are a few wild camping opportunities on the southeast part of the island.
- There are a plenty of stores and places to eat on the island. One eatery that stands out is on the southern part of the south island (see map).
Please keep the conversation civil, constructive, and inclusive, or your comment will be removed.