Bikepacking Ometepe Island Figure 8, Nicaragua
75 Mi.(121 KM)
% Rideable (time)
The island was formed by Volcan de Conception and Volcan Madera which are a part of the Cordillera Los Marrabios volcano range jutting straight out of the massive freshwater lake. From Granada we caught the four hour ferry to the island ready for a dirt-road adventure. Over three days on Ometepe we got a taste of some fantastic riding, a wealth of natural beauty, and vintage island charm.
- Nice dirt roads that get technical at times
- Seeing howler monkeys on the roadside
- Hostel Finca Magdelena
- Eggs, beans, and tostones… the typical Nicaraguan meal.
- Nicaragua’s dry season runs from November to April.
- UPDATE: There is no longer a ferry running from/to Granada, so you must go via Rivas and San Jorge port.
There are ferries that travel from Granada to Ometepe regularly.
- There are also ferries that leave from Moyogalpa to Rivas.
- There are a couple pay to camp places on the island.
- Plenty of hostels and cheap hotels ($5-10/pp).
- There are a few wild camping opportunities on the southeast part of the island.
- There are a plenty of stores and places to eat on the island. One eatery that stands out is on the southern part of the south island (see map).