Dirt Road Route to the Coast: Oaxaca to Puerto Escondido, Mexico
166 Mi.(267 KM)
% Rideable (time)
Tom and Sarah
Oaxaca is one of the most inviting and interesting states in Mexico; and there are three very good reasons to visit… food, mountains, and the coast. Oaxaca City itself it arguably the best culinary destination in Mexico. And it’s surrounding mountains offer hiking, mountain biking, and dirt roads that wind their way to the surf…
The route is initially easy and fast heading southwards out of Oaxaca through the Vallé Centrales. The route becomes slower through the Sierra Sur with some steep climbs before a long descent to sea level.
- Descent to the coast after earning it with some steep climbs in the Sierra Sur.
- Oaxacan food; tamales Oaxaqueños; molé negro/molé rojo/molé verde.
- Mountain bikes and disc brakes make the control on the rougher roads together with the prolonged descents more manageable .
- Wild camping is straight-forward.
- Basic accomodation in villages.
- Plenty of villages for food (maximum 1 day between) and water.
- Eat as many tamales Oaxaqueños as you can… they are incredible.